Medical, Mental Health, Security, & Evacuation Assistance
Whether minor or serious, International SOS is available to help you 24/7 during and after a medical, mental health, or security incident abroad.
If you need help while on a Harvard-related trip:
- Call the local equivalent of "911," if appropriate. Review the U.S. State Department’s global "911" list.
- Contact International SOS by phone at +1-617-998-0000, or start a chat or phone call from within the Assistance App.
If you’re unsure whether local emergency services can be trusted or can provide adequate care, then your first point of contact should be International SOS.
Proactive incident communication:
During certain incidents, International SOS or our security team will proactively contact registered travelers to check on your well-being. Depending on the contact preferences listed in your MyTrips profile, you'll receive an email, SMS, and/or text-to-voice call.
With 1,000 International SOS locations in 90 countries, you have access to a global network of primary, diagnostic, specialist, and emergency care.
- Emergency evacuation
- Medically-supervised repatriation
- Companion ticket
- Additional travel and accommodation arrangements after medical evacuation*
- Repatriation of mortal remains
- Return home of minor children
- Medical monitoring
- Inpatient admission and identification of receiving physician
- Emergency and routine medical advice
- Pre-trip information on travel health issues
- Medical, dental, and counseling referrals*
- Post-sexual assault support and counseling
- Emotional support and mental health program
- Teleconsultations (in selected locations where available) with locally licensed physicians
- Outpatient referrals*
- Outpatient case management
- Claims assistance
- Outpatient medical expense guarantee and payment*
- Inpatient medical expense guarantee, cost review, and payment*
- Dispatch of medication and medical supplies*
- Urgent and non-urgent travel security assistance and advice by telephone
- Daily online and email updates on the latest travel security developments
- Special advisory emails with advice in response to significant travel security incidents
- Security and travel information on 220 countries and more than 330 cities
- Access to security evacuation**
- Coordination of post-evacuation debriefs and counselling
- Legal referrals*
- Emergency message transmission*
- Translations and interpreters*
- Lost document advice and assistance*
- Ground transportation and accommodations for accompanying family members*
- Emergency personal cash advances*
Appropriate University staff may be informed of information critical to case management and response services. All case details are treated with the utmost discretion. Review our privacy disclosures for more information.
*You or your insurance company may incur a charge if a third party is engaged to deliver services (e.g. health care providers, transportation, hotels, etc.).
**The basic security evacuation costs are covered if International SOS recommends and facilitiates the evacuation.