You are here

Who and What is Covered

In general, students, faculty, and staff traveling internationally with Harvard sponsorship or on behalf of Harvard are covered by the Harvard Travel Assist program for medical and security support and evacuation coverage. Carefully review the following eligibility guidelines and exclusions for details and then check your eligibility. If you have questions, email us at


The following students are eligible for Harvard Travel Assist:

  • Harvard degree-seeking students actively registered at one of the Harvard schools listed below, excluding travel of a purely leisure or personal nature.
    • Harvard Business School (HBS)
    • Harvard College
    • Harvard Divinity School (HDS)
    • Harvard Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS)
    • Harvard Graduate School of Design (GSD)
    • Harvard Graduate School of Education (HGSE)
    • Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
    • Harvard Kennedy School of Government (HKS)
    • Harvard Law School (HLS)
    • Harvard Medical School (HMS)
    • Harvard School of Dental Medicine (HSDM)
    • Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
    • A.R.T. Institute for Advanced Theater Training
  • Harvard Summer School students traveling as part of their academic program
  • Harvard Extension School admitted degree candidates traveling as part of their academic program

Faculty, Staff, and Fellows

While traveling on University business, current employees and fellows—including faculty, staff, and other paid appointments—on the active Harvard University payroll or Harvard Global payroll are covered.

Note: HMS off-quad appointed faculty who are employed by an affiliated institution (e.g. a hospital) are not eligible travelers unless paid on the Harvard payroll or meeting other criteria below. Typically HMS off-quad faculty have an unpaid Harvard University appointment.

Other Individuals

The following individuals are covered, but given the nature of their affiliation with the University, their information must be entered in the Harvard Travel Registry. See how to register individuals without a HarvardKey.

  • Spouses, domestic partners, and dependent children traveling with a covered employee or student
  • Scholars and fellows—including post-baccalaureate and post-graduate fellows—with active Harvard appointments, including those who are unpaid, traveling with Harvard sponsorship
  • Certain other individuals participating in Harvard-related programs: contact us for guidance

Exclusions to Coverage

In cases when exclusions apply, Harvard Travel Assist and the associated vendors ordinarily will still facilitate services to the best of their ability, but the traveler will be charged for services. The following list isn't exhaustive, but it covers the most commonly applicable exclusions.

  • Personal travel
  • Travel within the U.S. or U.S. territories by U.S.-based Harvard affiliates
  • Travel within your home country
    • For employees, home country is defined as the location of your employment.
    • For students enrolled in a degree program, the U.S. is considered your home country. For students enrolled primarily online, contact us.
  • Continuous travel longer than 365 days
  • Service in armed forces
  • Incarceration post-conviction
  • Travel to obtain medical treatment
  • Travel against advice of a physician
  • Travel in violation of government sanctions
  • Acting or training as aircraft pilot or crew member
  • Air travel other than routine commercial and charter flights
  • Certain non-commercial, specialized, or self-piloted aviation
  • Evacuation or medical care not approved by Harvard Travel Assist service providers

Membership Card

Harvard Travel Assist membership card

If your trip activities meet the eligibility requirements, download a membership card (HarvardKey) and bring it with you in case of an emergency. You can also contact us to request a laminated card.

Proof of Coverage

If your trip is eligible for Harvard Travel Assist and you're required to show proof of evacuation and repatriation coverage in order to obtain a visa or other travel document, you can request a letter through our webform. We'll send you the required letter as a PDF file within one to two business days, or contact you if additional information is required.

You may also need to show proof of health insurance coverage to obtain travel documents. Contact your health insurance provider to request that letter. Harvard Travel Assist is not health insurance. 

Purchase Plans

Although Harvard Travel Assist cannot be purchased for personal travel or for ineligible travelers, similar products exist. All vendors are solely responsible for the services they provide.

GeoBlue Travel Medical and International Health Insurance is an option that provides medical and repatriation coverage but not security evacuation coverage. The U.S. State Department also maintains a comprehensive list of private providers that offer travel medical insurance and evacuation coverage.