Medical, Security, & Evacuation Assistance
Whether minor or serious, Harvard Travel Assist is available to help you during and after a medical or security incident abroad.
If you need help while on a Harvard-related trip:
- Call the local equivalent of "911," if appropriate. Review the U.S. State Department’s global "911" list.
- Call Harvard Travel Assist for additional help: +1-617-998-0000.
If you can't call, email firstname.lastname@example.org with "Urgent" at the start of your subject line if it's an emergency. The phone line is answered immediately; an email response may take four hours for urgent requests and 24 hours for non-urgent requests.
If you’re unsure whether local emergency services can be trusted or can provide adequate care, then your first point of contact should be Harvard Travel Assist.
- 24-hour access to physicians who provide emergency and routine medical advice
- 24-hour access to medical information, referrals, and emergency assistance
- Emergency medical evacuation
- Repatriation for medical treatment
- Repatriation of human remains
- Post-sexual assault support and counseling
- Assistance with documentation for insurance claims
- Medical, dental, and counseling referrals*
- Medical expenses guarantee and payment*
- Hotel arrangements for outpatient care*
- Arrangement of ground transportation and accommodation for accompanying family members*
- Dispatch of prescription medication and medical equipment*
- Access to security advice and consultations
- Security evacuation assistance**
- Legal referrals*
- Emergency message transmission*
- Lost document advice and assistance*
- Emergency translation services*
*You or your insurance company may incur a charge if a third party is engaged to deliver services (e.g. health care providers, transportation, hotels, etc.).
**The basic security evacuation costs are covered if the evacuation is recommended and facilitated by our security partner.