You are here

Frequently Asked Questions

Browse the Travel Registry FAQs below, and contact us if your question hasn’t yet been answered.


What is the Harvard Travel Registry?

The Harvard Travel Registry collects travel itineraries and contact information for Harvard affiliates traveling internationally. This information enables us to quickly contact you in the event of an emergency (i.e. natural disaster, civil unrest, etc.), so that we can account for affected Harvard travelers and provide assistance to the best of our ability through the Harvard Travel Assist program.

Who uses the Harvard Travel Registry?

All Harvard students, faculty, staff, and other academics use the Registry.

Students are required to register travel on trips funded or organized by Harvard. It's also required on trips involving Harvard credit.

We strongly encourage faculty and staff to register any Harvard-related trips so that Harvard can help you during an emergency.

During a critical incident, members of the International Emergency Management Team (IEMT) rely on Travel Registry data to account for and contact affected travelers.

Should I register a personal trip?

All registered Harvard students and Harvard faculty and staff on the Harvard University payroll are encouraged to register their personal travel.

In an emergency, we rely on the information in the Registry to inform us of any travelers in the region. Although personal trips are not eligible for Harvard Travel Assist (unless it is within seven days before or after an eligible trip), we'll make our best effort to locate and, if possible, assist all Harvard travelers. Personal travelers, however, will likely incur the costs if services are rendered (e.g. emergency evacuation).

If you’re traveling on a vacation or other type of personal trip, we strongly encourage you to purchase evacuation insurance coverage through a separate provider. You should also check with your health insurance provider about your international coverage options and/or purchase an international plan. The U.S. State Department provides a comprehensive list of insurance providers.

Should I register a trip within the U.S. or U.S. territories?

Only if requested by your School or program. The Harvard Travel Registry ordinarily is not used to respond to incidents within the U.S. or U.S. territories. In an emergency within the U.S., call 9-1-1 for assistance.


Registering or editing my trip

How do I log in to the Harvard Travel Registry?

Visit and log in with your HarvardKey. The Travel Registry works best in Chrome, Firefox, and Safari. Sometimes users logging in with HarvardKey need to clear their cache or try a second browser.

If you don’t have a HarvardKey, contact us at or +1-617-495-1111.

When should I register my trip?

Always register before you leave on your trip. You’re encouraged to register as soon as you make your initial plans. You can update your itinerary if it changes.

You should also update your contact information if you get a local cell phone number once in country.

Can I enter partial information?

Yes. Enter as much information as you have for a given trip; save it, and return to update it later.

Skip sections that you don’t have complete information for by clicking "Next." Don’t begin to enter details for a given section until you’re ready to enter all required fields (*) for that section.

Click on "Submit" on the “Review & Submit” page to save your information and return later to edit your itinerary.

How do I edit my trip?

Log in to with your HarvardKey. Click on “Edit Trip,” and select the trip record you’d like to edit from the drop-down list.

To edit previously entered information in “Destination Information,” “Air/Flight Information,” “Ground Transportation Info,” and “Emergency Contacts,” use the drop-down menu on the respective page to select the specific lodging, flight or ground segment, or emergency contact to edit.

To save your new or updated information, click "Submit" on the “Review & Submit” page.

To edit a trip for an individual without a HarvardKey, for example a spouse or dependent traveling with you, contact us at or +1-617-495-1111.

I booked my trip through one of Harvard’s preferred travel agents. Do I need to enter my itinerary in the Harvard Travel Registry?

You are strongly encouraged to enter your itinerary and contact information in the Travel Registry. Partial itineraries from Anthony Travel, BCD Travel, Egencia, HTT Travel, OT&T Travel, Protravel, and The Travel Collaborative automatically import into the Harvard Travel Registry; however, the agency data does not provide sufficient detail to contact you in an emergency.

Do I need to register with my embassy?

Yes. You should register with your embassy whenever you travel internationally. Harvard Travel Registry information is not forwarded to any embassy or government agency.

Registration with an embassy enables the government to help you in circumstances where their assistance is critical (e.g. lost passports, arrests, natural disasters, etc.).

U.S. citizens can register with State Department’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).

Citizens of other countries may find it helpful to use's embassy/consulate search.


Registering others' trips

How do I register someone without a HarvardKey?

If you're traveling with a spouse, dependent, or individual who doesn’t have a HarvardKey, contact us first at +1-617-495-1111 or

Once you've talked with us, follow the instructions for using the Travel Import Worksheet.

Can a faculty or staff assistant register for a faculty or staff member?

Yes. You’ll need to use the Travel Import Worksheet to enter information on his/her behalf. At this time, you cannot enter someone else’s information directly into the Travel Registry. We hope to add this functionality in a future release.

Review the instructions for using the Travel Import Worksheet, and contact us if you need assistance.

Are students responsible for their own registration?

Yes. Students are responsible for registering themselves, unless advised by their program that their registration has been completed for them. If your information is entered by program administrators, you’ll receive an email confirmation of the completed registration.

Even if your program processed your registration, you’re still responsible for keeping the information up-to-date (e.g. if phone numbers or itineraries change).

What responsibility do student programs have for registering travel?

Student programs are required to ensure that all undergraduate students are registered in the Harvard Travel Registry. You have two options:.

  1. Collect all travel information centrally using our Travel Import Worksheet, and send it to us to be uploaded in bulk to the Travel Registry.
  2. Have students register individually through the Travel Registry. You’ll need to verify they’ve completed this requirement. You can do so by contacting the Office of International Education (OIE). They manage a database that tracks and reports on the status of undergraduate students' travel requirements. Contact Camila Nardozzi or Nicole Garcia in OIE to request a report.

Can a trip leader view the Travel Registry information or check that a student has registered?

While you can’t log in to the site directly to verify others’ registrations, undergraduate program administrators can request a verification report from the Office of International Education (OIE). OIE manages a database that tracks and reports on the status of undergraduate students' travel requirements. Contact Camila Nardozzi or Nicole Garcia in OIE to request a report. 

To check on the status of graduate student travel registrations, call us at +1-617-495-1111.


Harvard Travel Assist

Do I need to register with Harvard Travel Assist, too?

No. The Harvard Travel Registry serves as the main collection point for international travel information. Entering your travel in the Harvard Travel Registry enables the University and Harvard Travel Assist’s service providers to better assist you in the event of an emergency.

If I register, does that mean I’m automatically covered by Harvard Travel Assist?

Not necessarily. Review the eligibility guidelines for Harvard Travel Assist and then check your eligibility.

If I don’t register, am I still eligible for Harvard Travel Assist coverage?

Eligibility is not tied to registration, but not registering your trip may slow down or impede assistance from the University during an emergency. When an incident occurs, we look to the Registry to inform us of travelers in the region. If we don’t know you’re in the area of an attack or disaster, then we don’t know to contact you and offer assistance. It’s in your best interest to register your trip. Review the eligibility guidelines to determine if your trip is covered and then check your eligibility.