You are here

Frequently Asked Questions

Browse the travel registration FAQs below, and contact us if your question hasn’t yet been answered.


What is MyTrips?

MyTrips collects travel itineraries and contact information for Harvard affiliates traveling internationally. This information enables us and International SOS to quickly contact you in the event of an emergency (i.e. natural disaster, civil unrest, etc.), so that we can account for affected Harvard travelers and provide assistance to the best of our ability through International SOS.

Who uses MyTrips?

All Harvard students, faculty, staff, and other academics use MyTrips.

Students are required to register travel on trips funded or organized by Harvard. It's also required on trips involving Harvard credit.

We strongly encourage faculty and staff to register any Harvard-related trips so that Harvard and International SOS can help you during an emergency.

During a critical incident, members of the International Emergency Management Team (IEMT) rely on data in MyTrips to account for and contact affected travelers.

Should I register a personal trip?

All registered Harvard students and Harvard faculty and staff on the Harvard University payroll are encouraged to register their personal travel.

In an emergency, International SOS and our staff rely on the information in MyTrips to inform us of any travelers in the region. Although personal trips are not eligible for the University's International SOS membership (unless it's within seven days before or after an eligible trip), we'll make our best effort to locate and, if possible, assist all Harvard travelers. Personal travelers, however, will likely incur the costs if services are rendered (e.g. emergency evacuation).

If you’re traveling on a vacation or other type of personal trip, we strongly encourage you to purchase your own evacuation insurance coverage. As a Harvard affiliate, International SOS membership discounts are available to you, your family, and dependents.

You should also check with your health insurance provider about your international coverage options and/or purchase an international plan. The U.S. State Department provides a comprehensive list of insurance providers.

Should I register a trip within the U.S. or U.S. territories?

Only if requested by your School or program. MyTrips is not used to respond to incidents within the U.S. or U.S. territories. In an emergency within the U.S., call 9-1-1 for assistance.


Registering or editing my trip

How do I log in to MyTrips?

Log in to MyTrips with your Harvard email address. The first time you use MyTrips, you'll need to register as a new user and create your profile.

If you don’t have a Harvard email address, contact us at or +1-617-495-1111.

When should I register my trip?

Always register before you leave on your trip. You’re encouraged to register as soon as you make your initial plans. You can update your itinerary if it changes.

You should also update your contact information if you get a local cell phone number once in country.

Can I enter partial information?

Yes. Enter as much information as you have for a given trip, even if you only know your expected travel dates and the city and country of your accommodation. You can save the trip and return to update it later.

Skip sections that you don’t have complete information for yet. Don’t begin to enter details for a given section until you’re ready to enter all required fields (*) for that section.

How do I edit my trip?

Log in to MyTrips with your Harvard email address. From within your profile, click on the trip name that you wish to edit.

Then click on the tab that you wish to add to or edit (flight, accommodation, train, ground transportation). Click the save button within each tab you add to or edit. 

Lastly, click "Save Trip Information" at the top of the webpage to save all of your new or updated trip information.

To edit a trip for an individual without a Harvard email address, for example a spouse or dependent traveling with you, contact us at or +1-617-495-1111.

I booked my trip through one of Harvard’s preferred travel agents. Do I need to enter my itinerary in MyTrips?

Partial itineraries from BCD Travel, Egencia, HTT Travel, Milne Travel, OT&T Travel, Protravel, and Travel Collaborative automatically import into MyTrips as long as you're the only person on the itinerary and your first name, last name, and email address match what you have in your MyTrips profile. 

Additionally, the agency data does not provide sufficient detail to contact you in an emergency, so we strongly suggest you log in to MyTrips to update your profile with your preferred contact information and an emergency contact.

Do I need to register with my embassy?

Yes. You should register with your embassy whenever you travel internationally. MyTrips information is not forwarded to any embassy or government agency.

Registration with an embassy enables the government to help you in circumstances where their assistance is critical (e.g. lost passports, arrests, natural disasters, etc.).

U.S. citizens can register with State Department’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).

Citizens of other countries may find it helpful to use's embassy/consulate search.


Registering others' trips

How do I register someone without a Harvard email address?

If you're traveling with a spouse, dependent, or individual who doesn’t have a Harvard email address, contact us first at +1-617-495-1111 or

Once you've talked with us, follow the instructions for using the Travel Import Worksheet.

Can a faculty or staff assistant register for a faculty or staff member?

Yes. You’ll need to use the Travel Import Worksheet to enter information on his/her behalf. At this time, you cannot enter someone else’s information directly into MyTrips. International SOS hopes to add this functionality in a future release.

Review the instructions for using the Travel Import Worksheet, and contact us if you need assistance.

Are students responsible for their own registration?

Yes. Students are responsible for registering themselves, unless advised by their program that their registration has been completed for them. If your information is entered by program administrators, you’ll receive an email confirmation of the completed registration.

Even if your program processed your registration, you’re still responsible for keeping the information up-to-date (e.g. if phone numbers or itineraries change).

What responsibility do student programs have for registering travel?

Student programs are required to ensure that all undergraduate students are registered in MyTrips. You have two options:.

  1. Collect all travel information centrally using the Travel Import Worksheet, and send it to us to be uploaded in bulk to Mytrips.
  2. Have students register individually through MyTrips. You’ll need to verify they’ve completed this requirement. You can do so by contacting the Office of International Education (OIE). They manage a database that tracks and reports on the status of undergraduate students' travel requirements. Contact Camila Nardozzi or Nicole Garcia in OIE to request a report.

Can a trip leader view the MyTrips information or check that a student has registered?

While you can’t log in to the site directly to verify others’ registrations, undergraduate program administrators can request a verification report from the Office of International Education (OIE). OIE manages a database that tracks and reports on the status of undergraduate students' travel requirements. Contact Camila Nardozzi or Nicole Garcia in OIE to request a report. 

To check on the status of graduate student travel registrations, call us at +1-617-495-1111.


International SOS

Do I need to register with International SOS, too?

No. MyTrips serves as the main collection point for international travel information and is operated by International SOS. Entering your travel in MyTrips enables the University and International SOS service providers to better assist you in the event of an emergency.

If I register, does that mean I’m automatically covered by International SOS?

Not necessarily. Review the eligibility guidelines for International SOS and then check your eligibility.

If I don’t register, am I still eligible for International SOS coverage?

Eligibility is not tied to registration, but not registering your trip may slow down or impede assistance from International SOS and the University during an emergency.

When an incident occurs, we look to MyTrips to inform us of travelers in the region. If we don’t know you’re in the area of an attack or disaster, then we don’t know to contact you and offer assistance. It’s in your best interest to register your trip. 

Review the eligibility guidelines to determine if your trip is covered and then check your eligibility.