Main Content

Register an Individual Trip

Before you depart, do the smart thing and register your travel. That way, in the event of an emergency or incident abroad, we’ll be able to reach you via email, SMS, or a phone call to confirm your well-being and provide help. Registration is required for students traveling with Harvard sponsorship and strongly recommended for faculty and staff.

Need to register a trip for someone other than yourself? See Registering Groups & Others.

Step 1: Create a Profile

First, create your traveler profile in International SOS MyTrips and/or the International SOS Assistance App. In MyTrips, you'll need to include your Harvard ID, status, affiliation, contact information, and emergency contact information; in the Assistance App, use your Harvard email to log in.

International SOS MyTrips

International SOS Assistance App

Step 2: Enter Your Itinerary

You have three options for how to register your trip. No matter which way you choose, it's important you keep your trip information up-to-date so we can focus our efforts appropriately during an emergency.

Option 1: Register via the Mobile App

New option available in version 7.0 of the App! Simply tap "Create a Trip" in the Assistance App and enter the details for your flight(s), accommodation(s), train, and/or other ground transportation. You can enter all information at once or add to and/or delete your itinerary as needed.

Option 2: One-step Registration via Email

If you've booked all of your trip details, registering can be as easy as forwarding an email. Once you've created your International SOS MyTrips profile, simply forward your reservation confirmation email(s) for your flight, lodging, and ground transit to Be sure your first name, last name, and email address on your reservation confirmation emails match the information in your MyTrips profile.

Option 3: Manual Registration via MyTrips

Create a new trip in your International SOS MyTrips profile. Enter trip details, including flight(s), lodging, and ground transportation information. No flights or lodging booked yet? You can still register your anticipated dates and location (city/country). Be sure to save your information.

Once you've booked your flights and accommodation, log into MyTrips and update your information manually.

International SOS MyTrips

Step 3: Alert Your Embassy

After registering via the International SOS Assistance App or MyTrips, you're also strongly encouraged to register with the embassy of your country of citizenship.